Push to Create your Habits

When creating new habits, most everyone will experience the same issues:

  1. You have trouble remembering to act on the habit you want.
  2. You lose interest in creating the habit after a few weeks or days.
  3. You find that the habit isn’t becoming natural even after doing it for a long time.

If you read my blogs, maybe you’ve noticed that the last two days I have not put out the best content. I wrote both blogs from the previous days on my phone while lying in bed. I have somewhat of an excuse as I have caught a cold, but not enough of an excuse that I would allow it to continue for the third day.

In fact, I didn’t intend for it to continue onto the second day. But who has ever intended to mess up and forget to do something they do every day? As I was falling asleep after putting out a very weak blog, I thought about how far I had come with writing and why it was valuable to me to push this habit.

A few weeks ago, I was unable to post a blog. My computer was dead and the WordPress app was not allowing me to post. I went to bed, feeling a little ashamed, but slept nonetheless. When I woke up, I remember thinking that I had ruined my habit and my writing streak was completely ruined.

However, habits don’t work like that. The reason we create healthy habits is so we can mess up every once and a while without worrying about the world imploding. It’s similar to healthy eating – the 80/20 rule. If you do the right thing and act well 80% of the time, the other 20% where you maybe mess up doesn’t really matter because it doesn’t have enough power to destroy all the hard work that came through the other 80% of your actions.

The reality of creating a habit is that it’s not easy and it shouldn’t be. Very few things in life that are valuable are easy and you should be wary of the ones that are. Instead of believing that your habits are impossible to change and living through them, you have to put in the work to shift your behavior so you can create habits that help you.

Eloragh

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: